Thursday, April 30, 2020

Mental Wellness Check

Depending on where you live, you may or may not be able to return to the world as you remember it before COVID-19 entered.  The rules have changed.  In my personal life, my favorite things are on hold.  I miss the tennis courts.  I miss traveling.  The parks are closed.  People seem to be on edge.  I wonder how many are on the edge of snapping.  That's one of the reasons I volunteered to be on a team at my day job that encourages health and wellness.  My teammates have taken a great deal of heat from others who are having trouble coping with guidelines we are following to save lives.

When people ask me how I'm doing, my standard answer is, "amazing."  For those who don't know me, there is usually a blank stare that comes back.  Perhaps they are processing my answer.  It's not common in these times to hear the word amazing but in my situation it's true.  I get up extra early every morning to meditate.  Before I begin, I make sure to take our son's pet Chihuahua outside to do her business in order to avoid a possible interruption during my time of solitude.  What I'm finding through my meditation is that my mental energy is restored.

Ask yourself, "How am I doing?"  This is your mental wellness check.  If you feel like you're at a boiling point, do something about it before you explode.  If you can't do the things you like to do right now, find a new activity that will bring you joy.  Learn how to use one of the new social media apps to get in touch with a friend.  Your well being is important.  If you can't do this on your own, reach out to the professionals who can help.  Have a great day.

No comments: