Wednesday, April 1, 2020

A Book Recommendation for Your Self-Quarantine

As each day passes, the odds of some kind of self-quarantine increase for all of us.  It doesn't matter what continent we live, what island or what hemisphere.  This novel virus is changing our behavior patterns.  I choose to look at this as one more lesson in the series of events I've witnessed.  It's one more opportunity to improve my outlook on life.  One of my teammates who became age-eligible for the men's 55+ team I play on recommended the perfect book and it arrived ahead of this pandemic.  "The Top Five Regrets of the Dying," by Bronnie Ware, is the perfect read to help us make important changes while there's still time.

This may seem strange to some of you, but I have absolutely zero fear of dying.  I've been working on my to-do list ever since I discovered my life's purpose, which is to use my God-given gifts for the good of the world.  Top on the list was making sure I went through every single name of people who hurt me, bullied me, cheated me, or deprived me of the opportunity to have peace of mind and forgive them.  This has taken me a life-time.  There were some people on this list that I had trouble forgiving and without the intervention of the Holy Spirit my attempts would have come up short.  I now realize that this act of forgiveness was not really for the people who hurt me, but for me.  The quality of my life is so much better.

Another area of my life that has taken a life-time to get a handle on is financial independence.  All my life I've been working on this and it's been painful, embarrassing, annoying and highly uncomfortable.  It wasn't until I changed my attitude that I finally figured it out.  I created a game called Par for the Course that helped me have fun while I'm paying off my creditors.  It's like playing golf.  If you hit your debt reduction target for the month, you give yourself a par.  Exceed your goal and you earn an eagle.  Fall below and you put a bogey on your scorecard.  The month of April will be my first eagle of the game.  It will take another two years but I'm going to keep hacking away until my mortgage is gone.  This brings me great joy.

If you want to make sure your life is well-lived, read Bronnie's book about her experiences helping her patients in the end game and see if you can glean some tips to help you maximize your own life.  Have a great day.


No comments: