Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Dear Erin

Dear Erin,

Time is of the essence.  Of all the people in my circle of friends and acquaintances,  I believe in my heart you may understand this best.  In order to accelerate action as much as I can humanly do, I'm sending you this letter via my blog.  For those who read my stories, I'm including a link to your blog with your story about gratitude so they may come to know you and love you so here goes...click here if you want to know who Erin is.  I will also post this on my Facebook page to maximize reach.

I woke up at 3:57 AM, three minutes ahead of the alarm.  A voice inside my head told me this was going to be an important meditation.  I've been doing this routine since September and haven't missed a day so far.  My mother introduced me to this guy who writes books, lectures and does seminars.  His name is Dr. Joe Dispenza.  His methods are designed to help others get beyond themselves and he's had some good luck inspiring others to beat illness such as the stage IV cancer you are now battling for the second time.

The purpose of this letter is to thank you for being such a special inspiration in my life.  I was caught off guard last night when you asked me how I'm doing when I posted your amazing video on my page and looking back, I feel like my response was a bit superficial.  Sure, I shared what my family is doing but I didn't share my heart.  So, here goes.  Here's what came to me during my meditation...the truth is, Erin, there are days when I wake up and I want to avoid doing what I'm called to do.  This has been my most challenging Lenten season ever.  I wanted to go "all in" like Jesus when he went into the desert for 40 days in preparation for his mission.  I gave up two of my favorite things, wine, and chocolate.  Then, that "thing" hit us all so hard that our world as we know it suddenly stopped.  I can't fathom what you and your friends are going through right now in New York City, especially since you are fighting a terminal illness at the same time.  My hope is that this letter gives you some kind of a lift in your spirit because I want you to know how special you are.

I'm working on one of my most cherished projects ever, "The Adventures of Wilson."  It all started when he dribbled out of someone's van at my day job and got turned in to lost and found.  Wilson, from CASTAWAY, sat perched on the top shelf in my department by the exit door quietly waiting for his owner to claim him.  Two weeks later, my boss asked that we toss Wilson in the trash.  He was headed for the trash compactor when I asked to adopt him.  We have been traveling together for about two years and this year I'm going to publish a book about our travels.  I decided this morning that you, Erin, are going to be the person I'm dedicating this book to.  You are my inspiration.  I'm living in Iowa now and I can't leave the state without putting others in danger so I would like to do the next best thing.  This idea came to me in my morning meditation.  I would like to mail my Wilson to you and I'm asking you to snap a photo of the two of you together.  If you have the energy, please share something about yourself and send it back to me with Wilson.  Your story will be included in one of the last remaining chapters.  My goal is to reunite Wilson with Tom Hanks on the Ellen show.  Ellen doesn't know this yet and neither does Tom.  I'll work on that when the time is right.  If you're up for this, please let me know and I'll put Wilson in the mail to New York.

God bless you, Erin.  Thanks for sharing from your heart.

Michael

2 comments:

Erin Cronican said...

I would love to meet Wilson! I’ll message you with my address. This means so much to me - thank you!

Michael Mulligan said...

Awesome! You take take Wilson anywhere you want to go. I'm so thankful for you!