Friday, May 24, 2019

Journey to a Best Seller


Storytelling has been in my family for generations.  My great-great-great grandfather, Captain James Starkey, from the civil war era, contributed to "Glimpses of the Nation's Struggle."  Click here to read his excerpt from his time serving in the army prior to Minnesota becoming a state.  My grandmother on my dad's side wrote countless poems while raising a family of ten children.  My dad majored in journalism and self-published before independent publishing became popular.

There is this strange feeling inside me that I can't seem to shake, like a whispering voice guiding me to something so sacred that I lose track of time and space as I draw nearer to the source.  Maybe it's the same voice my ancestors heard.  Perhaps it's encoded into my DNA.  All I know is that this feeling I have is so powerful that I cannot hide or it will consume me.  My surrender to this calling means I will be forever changed.  Is this what Moses experienced when he climbed Mt. Sinai?  I don't know.  The compulsion is to keep climbing.  The words that come out of me may not be my own.  They come from somewhere out of this world.  All I can say is that I trust the source and I will go wherever it leads me.  Have a great day.

No comments: