Monday, December 31, 2018

Your Year End Review


Today is a good day to look in the rear view mirror and review the highs and lows of the last twelve months.  If you're not planning on making any changes or adjustments, you can pretty much expect the same results in the new year ahead.  Pay careful attention to the past goals you set and your success rate.  Search for patterns in the failed attempts.  Don't beat yourself up over the losses.  Consider them as the necessary learning experiences necessary to change things up in the next twelve months.

I'm playing games with my goals to help me remain engaged over the next 36 months which happens to be the amount of time I calculated to retire our mortgage early.  The first reward level happens at the end of January.  In order to make the budget work and create available money for mortgage reduction, my wife and I pledged to make our first month wine and chocolate free.  These are our two favorite splurges.  The reward is adding these items to our shopping list should we reach our target for the two added principal payments in January.  Should we come up short, the penalty involves another month of no wine and no chocolate.  The combination of rewards and penalties is like a carrot and stick approach to keep us on track.

I'm cheering for you to give yourself an honest review of these last twelve months and to use that feedback to make improvements next year.  Feel free to join me tomorrow and I'll share more about the games I'm playing to help me stay focused on my commitment to my goals.  These tips can help you in any area of your life.  Have a great day.

No comments: