Saturday, December 22, 2018

Set Yourself Up for Success


Are you a sprinter or a marathoner?  The key is to get to the finish line every time you set a new goal.  Many will be lining up on January 1 with a list of new goals and resolutions.  I believe worthwhile goals need the stamina of a marathoner to be achieved.  That one week sprint during the first week may look great but it can be really demoralizing if you give up early and walk away.

I'm working on three main areas of my life – debt reduction, healthy eating and exercise.  Sprinting doesn't help in the long run.  I like to give myself checklists to help me stay on course.  Grocery lists keep me from deviating on my food program.  I make sure there are set days on my calendar for exercise.  There is a budget in place to prevent me from overspending while I chip away at my mortgage with monthly additional payments over required minimums.  The month of December has been a "practice month" to help me get some muscle tone for a good start in the new year.  As far as debt reduction goes, this is a 1,000 day marathon.  Sprinting won't work.  I'm setting myself up for success by visualizing an ultra marathon and I'm not leaving the course until the last step.  Are you with me?  Use the last nine days of the year to prepare for your next adventure.  Have a great day.

No comments: