Thursday, March 22, 2018

Face Your Fears


Anxiety can be debilitating.  I experienced this first-hand after my auto accident last month.  I found myself deferring the driving to my wife when we ventured out of the house.  I wasn't eager to get behind the wheel again, especially on bad weather days.  I started out with short trips to the post office and finally worked up the courage to get back on the interstate.

Another fear I've been working on is "white coat syndrome."  This fear is rooted in my fear of needles.  The irony for me is that my auto accident played a role in downsizing this fear.  I was poked by needles so many times that I finally stopped worrying about it.  I can finally visit my doctor without any elevated blood pressure or heart rate readings.  Repetitiveness seems to be the key to success.  The more times you face your fears, the better your chances for reducing anxiety.  Have a great day.

No comments: