Tuesday, August 22, 2023

A Salute to My Mentors

 Today is my first full day of rest in a long while.  I'm home.  All but one of my fingers have been held captive during my time away from home and from "Mac," my beloved laptop which stayed home during my stints on the road.  Writing on my cell phone using a solo finger is rather tedious.  I don't mind.  Any good coach or mentor will tell you it's the challenges that make you who you are.  That's why I want to take a moment and acknowledge the influencers in my life who helped me become the person I am today.  This is not a complete list as I've been blessed with countless mentors.  I waited until I had full use of all then fingers to say thanks.

The best place to start is my family.  Thanks, mom, for your countless prayers for all of us.  Thank you for sharing your faith.  Thank you for teaching me the meaning of forgiveness, not so much with your words, but with your actions.  Thanks also to my aunts, uncles, siblings, cousins, and all my in-laws.  Thanks also to my three adult children who have inspired me to be my best every day.  Ryan, I will never forget your early morning energy when you were a toddler..."Sun up, daddy up."  Yes, getting out of bed is where it all starts.

To my teachers...Thank you.  "Snora" Ehlers, you taught me how to connect in Spanish.  Mrs. Porter, you opened the doors to Canada with your kind reference letter while I was in college.  Mr. Doug Benford, you introduced me to wood working.  While my talent may be below average, it was your time as my first high school tennis coach that opened so many doors.  The same goes for Bill Leinheiser, my junior college tennis coach.  You didn't cut me when new talent came in my second year because you wanted me to keep pushing knowing I had some kind of spark plug inside that could fire up if I chose to not give up.  Last but not least in the "teacher" category is my friend and Dale Carnegie instructor, Jim Miller.  The world would be so much better if your courses were offered to every student pursuing higher education.

To my friend, Bruce, who introduced me to the business world, I say thank you.  To my business partners who stood up to the biggest and baddest moguls the world had ever seen, thank you.  Thank you for standing up.  The experience of being an entrepreneur during the worst of economic times taught me what it means to be relentless.

I would like to offer special thanks to my writing mentors who answered the call when I felt like I was trapped in a corner while penning my first book.  Your weekly critiques shaped my raw writing.

Linda Collins, thank you for being the "sixth man" on our team during the train the trainer course and for being a shining light as we introduce the culture in our new locations.  You and your team are the best in the industry.  

Lastly, I would like to thank my friends.  My best friend happens to be my wife.  Thank you for being present during my dark times.  Thank you for your encouragement.  If you were a part of my growth, my pledge to you and all my mentors is to "pay it forward."  

It's time to mow the grass and do my laundry.  I wanted to get this message out first.  May all of your lives be abundantly blessed.  Have a great day.

No comments: