Sunday, August 27, 2023

For Joni, Tina, and Dana

 Tragedy struck three families who are close to me this year at my day job.  I cannot fathom the pain these three families are going through.  I will never forget the moment I heard about Joni, our marketing coordinator, and Tina, my teammate who is usually standing next to me, both lost their husbands on the same day.  Months later tragedy struck again.  This time it was Dana, our beloved AGM who transferred to Springfield, Missouri to be closer to his family.  He was in his final year of working prior to retirement when he died of a sudden heart attack.  My last time with Dana was when he pulled me off to the side to tell me our general manager at my home store was diagnosed with cancer.  

Our general manager was away from us for an extended period of time.  We promised him we would hold the fort down while he underwent treatment.  He returned to us cancer free.  Sadly, for Joni, Tina, and Dana, the outcome was not rosy.  These losses are enough to cripple those who are left to cope with the losses.  This is true at my day job.  Life is not the same.  I'm doing my part by dedicating our achievements in their absence.  The first achievement was breaking a record in North Canton for new signups.  Despite already being down two people in our small department while they recover from the loss of their spouses, my team stepped up and covered for me so I could assist as support staff in Ohio.  Somehow, my team managed to stay afloat.

The second achievement has to do with a goal I set at the beginning of the fiscal year before tragedy struck.  Today was supposed to be the last day for measuring purposes but it has been extended to bring our work calendar into alignment, similar to leap year on Feb 29 every four years.  Today looks like the day I will reach the pinnacle of the highest mountain I ever climbed.  I will raise my hands to Heaven and salute my teammates' spouses.  I will smile when I think of all the times Dana helped me to be a better person.  I will salute my teammates who never wavered in the face of adversity.  Joni, Tina, and Dana are my heroes.  Yes, this has been a challenging year, especially for them.  All I can say today is, "This victory is for you."  Have a great day.

No comments: