Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Danger Signs

 Why do relationships fail?  I have a feeling most couples don't expect their marriage will end prior to the death of a spouse.  Isn't that what they signed up for?  Remember when you got down on one knee and proposed?  I'm thirty-three years married and still learning I can do better.  The next question is even more challenging.  Ready?  Here goes...  If God proposed marriage to you forever and ever, how are you doing on your end of the deal?  Think about the danger signs the same way you see them in your marriage.

  • Are you late for dinner (church service)?
  • Do you make excuses for canceling dates (church service)?
  • Do you apologize for your mistakes (confession)?
  • Do you put your hobbies ahead of your spouse?
  • Do you listen to your spouse (prayer time)?
  • Do you pay attention to what other family members need?
  • Do you help others who have troubled marriages?
I know my marriage isn't perfect.  What I do focus on is listening.  It's about continuous improvement.  The same is true in my relationship with God.  The older I get the more I see how God thinks of me as a spouse.  His side of the relationship is perfect.  Mine isn't.  Pay attention to the warning signs in all your relationships including God.  Hint.  Start with God first.  Make him number one.  Do this right and you will improve all other relationships as well.  Have a great day.

No comments: