Monday, September 18, 2023

When Neuroplasticity and Justification Meet

  I woke up in deep gratitude for all that transpired yesterday on a day off.  The stars were in alignment.  My wife showed up yesterday afternoon at my hotel a day earlier than planned.  I found an evening worship service at the local university we could attend together after her 5 hour drive.

Worshiping alongside college students is special.  The pastor who led the evening service shared how thankful he was for the prayers as his mother passed away at the beginning of the school year.  Last evening's service was only the second week of the new semester.  

The message was about how you can rewire your brain simply by paying attention to new ideas.  This is called neuroplasticity.  I remembered hearing about this topic, so I went home to learn more from Andrew Huberman.  Much to my surprise, this Stanford University School of Medicine neuroscientist was sharing his faith as a way to rewire your brain.  It corroborated everything shared in the message at the chapel.

I put my headphones on this morning and jumped into day 261 of CIY from my mom's favorite YouTube pastor entitled Justification.  Boom! It hit me.  It's like peanut butter and jelly.  Justification is what the Holy Spirit does inside your heart when you turn away from sin and toward God.  Put neuroplasticity and justification together and you have a complete brain and heart makeover.  You are born again!

Once again, I am in awe of God's perfect timing.  There is much to soak up during my next two days off with my wife.  We will be bike riding together after my morning tennis drills with the local pro.  If all goes well, we will play some pickleball before sunset.  Have a great day.

No comments: