Sunday, February 14, 2021

A Creative Way to Deal with You Inner Voice

 How are you doing with those conversations going on in your head?  I'm primarily referring to the negative voices trying to stop you from all you have planned for the day.  You know them well... "You don't need to go outside today, it's too cold."  Or, "Why not call in sick so you don't have to deal with all that traffic on the icy roads?"  Well, I have an idea for you that may help.  Give a name to the source of your inner voices.  If you name him or her, you can take charge and make great counter-arguments as if the voice is a real person.  

I'm naming my voice, Hank.  Hank is a bit of a loser.  He doesn't like it when I set goals.  Hank is a champion of making excuses.  I want to improve my life.  Hank wants the status quo.  Hank has a vast circle of secret friends no one else can see.  His friends are invisible.  Somehow, Hank communicates nonverbally with his friends attempting to form some kind of a coup to overthrow any attempts to make positive change.  I'm fairly lucky because I cut Hank off from his sources of information, like TV.  Hank thrives on negativity.  My job every morning is to make sure Hank doesn't get the upper hand.  When I meditate, Hank is always lurking.  He tells me I'm wasting my time sorting my thoughts, perhaps because my meditation time is dedicated to keeping Hank at bay.

Give your inner voice a name and remember who's boss.  Should you fail, try again tomorrow.  If you win, you have the life you dreamed of.  Allow your inner voice to be in charge and you will be destined to a life of status-quo.  You deserve better.  Not Hank.  Have a great day.

No comments: