Friday, February 5, 2021

An Important Anniversary Today

 On this day, three years ago, I drifted off highway 149 while following a snowplow.  I thought that was going to be the end of my life.  Drifting off the road wasn't the bad part.  The horrific part was returning to the road totally out of control.  The impact was certain.  All I could think about was rotating my small Honda to keep our daughter from suffering the brunt of the force.  She was in the direct line of fire.  When the van hit us, he didn't see us until the last moment due to the haze in the air and the snowfall.  Looking back, I believe it was an act of God that spared my life.  Our daughter has one small cut on her lower lip from the shards of glass flying through the air upon impact.  Surprisingly, the doctors cleared me to leave the hospital 24 hours later.  The seven broken ribs eventually healed on their own.  The spleen healed enough overnight to eliminate the need for surgery.  As for the 600cc's of fluid from the pleural effusion, that was taken care of at a later date in a routine procedure.  I returned to competitive tennis.  My life is better than normal because of what I witnessed the day of the accident.  I saw emergency medical care first hand.  I remained awake the entire time while observing the medical team in the trauma center.  We are truly blessed to have the best medical care in the world.  I will be forever grateful for every day I've been given on this planet.  This is a great time to thank health care workers for all they do.  Thank you for saving my life.  Have a great day.

No comments: