Monday, June 18, 2018

Helpful Tips for Handling Verbal Abuse

One of my day job peers was verbally challenged by someone who appeared to be having a bad day recently.  Those situations can be diffused as long as you're able to keep your cool.  I shared what I do when I'm the recipient of verbal abuse.  Here goes:

  • Recognize the power of the Holy Spirit who dwells within you and ask for guidance.  It's possible that the attacker may be under the influence of a dark demon who wants to bring chaos into the world.  While you're being verbally assaulted, silently pray for help.  Ask for wisdom.  Ask for strength.  Ask for calm.  Do not let your attacker know what you're doing and make sure he or she spews out everything before you say one word.
  • Show empathy.  Let the other person know you care about them and their situation.  If you can't help, let them know you will find someone who can.
  • Remember who wins.  If you're dealing with a dark spirit, be very careful.  The destructive force is off the charts, especially in these times.  In my personal life, the attacks are more frequent and more dangerous than ever.  I recall something my pastor from California told me to remember when he wrote the two most important words we need to know in response to evil – GOD WINS!
Perhaps one of the greatest joys in my life is sharing the Good News.  My new pastor shared his all-time favorite prayer and I liked it so much I decided to post it on my refrigerator door.  It's great for handling verbal abuse as well as any other difficult situation you may face in life:

Prayer to the Holy Spirit

Breathe into me, Holy Spirit, that my thoughts may all be holy.  Move in me, Holy Spirit, that my work, too, may be holy.  Attract my heart, Holy Spirit, that I may love only what is holy.  Strengthen me, Holy Spirit, that I may defend all that is holy.  Protect me, Holy Spirit, that I always may be holy.  ~ St. Augustine

Have a great day.

No comments: