Saturday, October 8, 2011

Is God Calling You?

I'm going on a special camping trip in thirty days with a group of men from my church.  My buddy, Pat, asked me to share a few experiences with the group while we are out in the wilderness.  We met last Thursday with our pastor to put an outline together and we decided on three main themes.  Today's blog is about the first theme... God calling you.  Will you walk with me today as I turn to the Bible for answers?

At 4:30am, random thoughts started popping into my head about being called...  I recalled Adam hiding from God in the Garden.  He and his wife had eaten the fruit of the one tree forbidden by God and discovered he was naked.  God called out and asked, "Adam, where are you?"

That's an odd question for God to ask since He already knows everything.  God asks the question, not for His benefit, but for Adam's.  It's important to note that God is seeking Adam even though Adam is not obeying God.

The second random thought that hit me was a song...


The third thought was a recollection of my experience meeting Jesus while reading the Bible.  Jesus revealed to me He was searching for me even though I was trying to hide in a remote town.  Like Adam, I allowed my demons to distract me from God's plan.  Read Luke 8:26-40 for the complete story of a man possessed by demons who meets Jesus and becomes a new creation.  He recognizes God is calling him and he discovers his purpose.

I visualized the men from my church sitting in a circle and listening to my naked caveman story.  Like me, that nagging question is probably bouncing around in their heads..."Why am I here?"  The Bible verses flood my brain...

1 Samuel 3...The Lord calls out to Samuel while he is sleeping and Samuel replies, "Speak, for your servant is listening."

Revelation 3:20...Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

Isaiah 43:1-7...

1 But now, this is what the LORD says—
   he who created you, Jacob,
   he who formed you, Israel:
“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
   I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
2 When you pass through the waters,
   I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
   they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
   you will not be burned;
   the flames will not set you ablaze.
3 For I am the LORD your God,
   the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
I give Egypt for your ransom,
   Cush and Seba in your stead.
4 Since you are precious and honored in my sight,
   and because I love you,
I will give people in exchange for you,
   nations in exchange for your life.
5 Do not be afraid, for I am with you;
   I will bring your children from the east
   and gather you from the west.
6 I will say to the north, ‘Give them up!’
   and to the south, ‘Do not hold them back.’
Bring my sons from afar
   and my daughters from the ends of the earth—
7 everyone who is called by my name,
   whom I created for my glory,
   whom I formed and made.”

It's now 6:23am and the blog message is complete. The next step is to create a two minute talk calling out to the men in my church and make the announcement after our church service is over tomorrow morning.  I will ask each member to examine his heart and ask himself, "is God calling me to go on this camping trip?"

Thank you for walking with me today.  If you have a favorite Bible quote showing you how God is calling you, please email it to me and I will pass it along on the camping trip. 



No comments: