Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Your Backstage Pass

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable–if anything is excellent or praiseworthy– think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me– put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. ~ Philippians 4:8,9

Baseball fans love Spring training.  It's an opportunity to get a preview of the season ahead, to meet the new players on the team and be with other fans who share a common interest.  For writers who blog, they give their readers a chance to go to Spring training, to get a glimpse of what writing is all about.  Consider these daily sessions your backstage pass.  It is my honor to share my life with you and I appreciate the interest you have taken in my stories.  In many ways, I feel like a first-time parent, that is, I am birthing my first book.  This part of the preparation period is similar to the end of the second trimester.  It is in the third trimester that parents-to-be get that "glow" as they anticipate what is ahead.

I am fortunate to have experienced writers around me to coach me.  Combined, these writers have birthed enough books to make up their own football team.  I am the rookie writer on the team, wandering around on the sidelines watching these pros work their magic, learning something new every day.  They have an ability to cut out what is unnecessary and critique material that needs to be rewritten.  I have already thrown out more than I am keeping and what remains still needs to be rewritten two or three more times. 

Your backstage pass allows you access to the delivery room.  I won't be having a son or a daughter, my "child" is a memoir, the first one to be born to the Christian Writer's Critique Group of Ramona.  It's siblings include science fiction novels, plays, books about self-publishing and a book of poems.  Several other writers are also pregnant at the same time.  It helps so much to be around people with similar interests.  I can't imagine going through this process alone.

Yesterday I blogged about Michelangelo and his gift, carving masterpieces out of slabs of rock.  It's a pleasure to have this time with you as I learn to chisel with my laptop.  When it's time for the new baby to be born, I hope you are backstage with me.  If I get the opportunity to come to your city on the book tour, consider yourself invited to come backstage to meet me.  After all, you are the most important character in the book and you will see this when you read the final chapter.  Thanks for visiting and come back soon.  Your backstage pass is good for life, use it anytime.  I look forward to meeting you.

No comments: