Wednesday, December 8, 2010

From the Front Lines

 Then the Lord said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job?  There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil." ~ Job 1:8

In the Bible story about Job, one day the Evil One had a conversation with God.  The Evil One asked, "does Job fear God for nothing?  Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has?"

The Lord said to Satan, "Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger." 

You can read the rest of the story to follow the dialogue between Job and his friends after he loses everything and see how God reveals himself to Job.  Job's friends, like the ten angels that have been placed in my life, comfort the man in his trials.

Once the Evil One grew tired of attacking Job, He once again roamed the earth looking for others to torment.  For whatever reason, He focuses His time and energy on me, my family, and even my closest friends.  I weep as I read the story of Job because, like the naked cave man in Luke 8:26-40, I see myself in Job.  I see a man who was once richly blessed.  Like Job, I have received many reports of losses in recent days and more reports are on the way.  At times, I feel alone on the battlefield while the Evil One torments me.

My encouragement in reading Job is seeing how Job's friends, like my Angels in the outfield, come to his aid.  He is lost and cries out to God to please remove him from this world along with all memories of him.  The other night, even my closest mentors doubted the aggressive time line for my memoir.

"Some writers need five years to get their work fit for publication," one of the critique members said.  "You may be able to get your draft done by March, however, the editing process is time consuming and your deadline may be too bold," said another.  "Your work is good but it is missing so much."

While conversing with my critique group, I shared my recent challenges with my Apple G4 laptop...

'My laptop is the family favorite and my kids are always wanting to use it, interrupting me to work on school assignments.  That's why I write at 5:00 am, no fighting over the computer.  Recently, I dropped the laptop while tripping over the dog guard on the stairway.  I was able to restore the connection but the aftermarket power chord I purchased does not always work and the battery inside the laptop is completely dead.  I have lost much work due to power failures in the middle of the session.'

I added that my visit to the Apple computer store, while enlightening, was also disappointing because the employee told me my laptop was too old to handle some of the software I was interested in to aid me with my writing.

For me, the losses I am encountering aren't much different from the losses Job suffered.  The Evil One is aware of God's plans for me.  When He can't stop me, he goes after my assets and my loved ones.  My comfort is in the end of Job's story.  Job 42:12 tells us "God blessed the latter part of Job's life more than the first."....and in verse 16, "And so he died, old and full of years."

As I begin this day, just one hundred days away from birthing my first book, I turn to God for assistance.  I praise Him for the ten angels in the outfield He sent me to be my special friends and helpers.  I ask Him for help moving mountains.  The task ahead is daunting but not impossible.  With God, ALL things are possible.  This morning I pray for rain, the kind of rain that will bring special rain drops containing ninety more angels to join me on the front lines along with the necessary supplies to reinforce my damaged assets.  I expect MIRACLES to take place, all for HIS Glory.  Job will be my example, just like the naked cave man in Luke.  Both found God in their trials.  I thank Him for revealing Himself to me in my darkest hour and for making sure that I am never alone.

Now, how about a little Faith during this Christmas season?...

No comments: