Thursday, December 9, 2010

God's Dividends

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” ~ Matthew 6:19-21

Jesus rarely spoke about money.  In a way, it seemed to be an obstacle, something that got in the way of the work He was sent to do.  As for me, there have been times in my life when money has been scarce and other times when it has been abundant.  Like the ocean tides, my prayer life seemed to be high or low, depending on the size of my bank account.  I don't recommend this style of prayer life.  God appreciates consistency, in good times and in bad.  He pays high dividends to those who remain faithful, although His generosity goes beyond monetary rewards.

It is impossible for you to be more generous than the Creator.  Any time you give more of yourself to Him, He finds a way to Bless you more.  Give Him an hour of praise in your faith community and He will give you back bonus hours.  Make a donation to a worthy cause and discover resources falling out of the sky.  Share your talents with others and observe others appearing out of nowhere to share their talents with you to help you in times of need.  God's dividends have no boundaries.

As I get ready to publish my first book, I have been hesitant to take on any new projects, including the opportunities that have presented themselves to me in the last year.  I have already cut out most of the time wasters in my life in order to keep up with my most important priorities.  A few weeks ago, my pastor shook hands with me as I was leaving Church.

"Mike, the community is aware of your love for the church and I want you to join the parish stewardship council", my pastor said. 

Once again, I laughed.  I thought, had he not heard about my desire to keep extra work off my plate until I at least finish this book?  How am I going to make my deadline if all this stuff keeps getting dumped on my already full plate?

I answered, 'how can I say no to you, you represent God?'

Yesterday's letter made his request official.  "You are responding to the needs of the People of God...please pray over this request and consider it as an invitation of the Holy Spirit through our faith community."

I am saying yes to my pastor because I have faith that if I am truly doing all that God asks of me, then God will find a way to give me everything I need to serve Him properly.  He will Bless me with all I need to get this book published on time.  He will give me enough people to get His work done.  Together, our faith community will thrive, all for God's glory.  God has a reward for all who follow Him.  We may not see our dividends on earth, however, our work here will not go unnoticed in the afterlife.

No comments: