Friday, December 17, 2010

Living the Dream

Prior to leaving Goliath, my future Zoom partners and I hired an attorney to guide us in our preparation.  When you are preparing to compete with an employer, especially one who has billions of dollars in his back pocket, there is a right way and a wrong way to do it.  We needed to make sure that our departure was clean and legal.  Any overlooked detail would surely lead us to an expensive legal battle.

Our attorney advised us to "live the dream."  He told us that is why America is the dream destination for people all over the world.  You can come here with nothing but a vision and it can come true if you work hard and never ever give up hope.

It's been almost six years since my partners and I left Goliath.  We have gone through many trials.  I recall some of my relatives telling me, "you will surely fail.  Are you crazy to compete with a giant so big?"

Nearly six years later, it's Goliath that has retreated from the print business while we expand into new ventures.  We never listened to the naysayers.  We were too busy growing our business and helping one another to dream big.

As my children prepare to live their lives as adults, I encourage them to dream big.  They are not allowed to stop when faced with an obstacle.  Instead, they must ponder a strategy to get around it, under it, over it, or through it.  The dreams are on the other side of the roadblock.  The dream killers live on this side of it while those living the dream have found a new neighborhood.  There is a new frontier on the other side of the hurdle.  Where will you live?

No comments: