Thursday, March 19, 2020

Garden Tips for a Healthy Brain and Body

Have you ever heard of "brain gardening?"  I'm astonished to learn just how many new brain cells you grow every day – approximately 300 million.  That's right.  300 million.  If you were to take a look inside your brain, what kind of garden would you see?  Are the rows in alignment or scattered and chaotic?  Are there patches of wild overgrowth that haven't been tended to?  If you want a healthy brain and body, these questions matter.  The last thing I want is to have all these new brain cells show up in a garden that is so messy I feel overwhelmed and out of control.  That's the difference between a healthy brain and a sick brain.

In my opinion, the challenge we have as "brain gardeners" is we feel we don't have enough time to garden or we don't know how to do this.  We may not be able to see our brains but we can observe how our bodies are functioning and determine the condition of our garden.  I've been doing some activities to help get the soil right like eating foods that haven't been processed.  This seems to be helping to nurture the new cells sprouting daily.  I'm also discovering how negative thoughts play a role.  They are the areas of my brain where weeds are growing.  Anger and sadness fuel the weeds.  So does unforgiveness.  I'm working this daily.  The better I get at gardening, the happier I feel.  I'm finding that daily meditation is really nothing more than closing my eyes and checking in on my "brain garden."  I'm working on getting rid of the weeds and aligning the rows of thoughts that are growing.  Give this a try and see how your body responds.  Have a great day.

No comments: