Thursday, March 5, 2020

Date Night with the Chieftains

I would like to thank our oldest son for his gift of two Chieftains tickets to Hancher at the University of Iowa last night.  My wife and I drifted away to the sounds of our ancestors while being entertained by one of the oldest and most respected bands in the world.  We started our date visiting new business owners from El Salvador.  The husband greeted us at the front door of La Bendición Pupuceria Restaurant and welcomed us to one of the last seats in the crowded hotbed of activity.  I ate carne asada and my wife reveled in a plate filled with one dozen shrimp.  The owner's wife, Maria, came out from the kitchen to thank us for visiting.  "We'll be back," I promised, speaking in the language I'm slowly learning to grasp as each day passes.  The glow of happiness emanating from my wife as she offered me the last two bites of shrimp from her plate reminded me of our early dating years.  Check this place out for great food and great service.

We were treated to two hours of music, Irish dancing and a mixture of local talent.  The facility is state-of-the-art built from the ground up after the old building was destroyed when the Iowa River swelled well beyond its banks wreaking havoc at the university.  Thank you, Ryan, for a night your mom and I will never forget.  Have a great day.

No comments: