Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Uncanny Food Choices Exposed

 My neighbors in my hometown knew my secret.  It's impossible to hide when you are barbecuing almost every day, even in the dead of Winter or in the middle of a rainstorm.  My newest food proclivity, burgers and steak on the weber at sunrise, has me in a bit of a pickle.  You see, I'm on the road and there's no outdoor grill at my hotel.  I'm the Maasai warrior who can't pull a rabbit out of my hat.  Yikes!

The casual observer may not understand what I'm experiencing.  It's like showing up at the airline ticket counter and realizing you don't have your passport.  I found the perfect hamburger yesterday after my first shift ended in North Canton while hunting and gathering at a local supermarket.  The higher fat ratio made my stomach growl in anticipation.  I hurried back to my hotel, still hungry even though I already consumed the biggest ribeye on the menu at Texas Roadhouse.  It didn't matter that it was raining.  Nothing was going to stop me.  Surprise!  No outdoor barbecue.  I was frozen in my tracks.  Panic was setting in.

Normal people have coping mechanisms.  Sugar.  Carbs.  Ice cream.  Food is in abundance.  I was once one of those typical Americans on the SAD (Standard American Diet) way of life.  One of the hardest things I've ever done was giving up sugar and detoxing my body.

This will be an interesting day.  The good news is the sun is shining.  One could say it's the perfect day for a barbecue.  Have a great day.

No comments: