Monday, August 28, 2023

What Do You Do When the World is Sick?

 There are always at least two choices regarding your most challenging questions – action or inaction.  It's fight or flight.  It's become visible or invisible.  I understand the poor choices better than most.  Inaction is the easy choice.  Flight is also an easy choice.  Invisible worked for me most of my life.  Now it's high tide.  I see the problems of the world clearly and this is not the time for inaction.

I was asked to read a letter from our bishop at my house of worship yesterday.  It was a joyful moment because my wife and I chose to go on a 10day pilgrimage to Ireland led by our bishop who will soon be promoted to archbishop in the location where he grew up as the son of a farmer.  We had a reunion while we were both bike riding under strenuous conditions.  That's the moment I posed a challenging question..."What are you going to do to reach the 80% of your flock who does not worship regularly?"  Bishop Zinkula is one of the smartest people I know.  He graduated as valedictorian in high school.  He is in the hall of fame for his accomplishments on the football field.  He earned a law degree.  Then, something happened.  He felt a calling to serve God and help others get closer to Jesus.  Bishop Zinkula understands better than most that our world is sick.

This sickness in the world is not confined to the spiritual realm.  Any casual observer can clearly see that obesity is a serious matter.  88% of Americans are metabolically unhealthy.  The same is true when it comes to debt.  75% of households are underwater.  I am one of those people who believes the solutions are in the trenches.  This is not the time to run and hide.  This is the time to step up and help one another.

The letter I read at my house of worship yesterday was a thank you letter.  Our bishop thanked the 43% of active church goers in his jurisdiction for raising enough funds to take care of retired pastors while funding education for our future church leaders and returning money to support our local needs.  

The final question of the day is directed at you... "What do you do when the world is sick?"  The tide is coming in and soon people will be drowning.  How are you going to help?  I'm going to keep publishing daily.  I'm going to release "Live Long and Prosper."  This book deals with the three areas where Americans are struggling – Health, Debt, and Faith.  Remember one thing, you don't have to solve all these problems on your own.  Focus on planting seeds.  Have a great day.

No comments: