Sunday, August 20, 2023

Tent Worship

 I worshiped outside last night in a tent after an intense day at our newest location in North Canton.  It was one of those moments that opens ones eyes so that the invisible becomes visible.  The hour long session was mostly silent.  With the exception of a couple of cell phone interruptions, voices of young children playing nearby, and a few barking dogs, the small gathering of twenty-five or so worshippers was mostly silent.

I only opened my eyes a few times to soak in the late summer sun casting beams of light into our circus-sized tent before it sank below the horizon at the conclusion of our worship time.  I contemplated on the final words my teammate from Chicago said before we parted ways until the next assignment.  "Pray hard, you're gonna need all the help you can get tomorrow.  Everybody is leaving."

Interesting things happen when you put God first, like worshiping in circus tents on optional days outside of what is commanded.  I told my friend from Chicago that everything good in my life is from God.  We were on assignment at a previous opening.  She is noticing how calm I appear to be when chaos ensues.  I will never take credit for what is happening all around me because I'm not in charge.  God is in control.  When God says, "Be still," there's a reason.  He wants us to get out of the way.

It's time to visit my local house of worship this morning in North Canton led by my new Nigerian friend before my final day on assignment.  Perhaps this pastor is the one who came up with the idea of tent worship.  Today is a good day for the invisible to become visible.  It all begins with quality prayer time.  Have a great day.

No comments: