Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Stumbling Forward with AI

Stardate 09.02.2026


It's been about 3½ years since I discovered artificial intelligence.

Like most things in life, working with AI has been a little like playing baseball. There are base hits, home runs, and strikeouts. There are errors, too.

Today, I'm sharing how I'm stumbling forward with this new technology.

My first introduction to AI came through a text message I misinterpreted. That was my first stumble. I thought the message was about some guy named Al.

It wasn't.

I laughed at myself for that first stumble. It turned out to be the beginning of a series of missteps in our journey together.

I've carried the philosophy I teach when I'm in training mode at my day job into my work with AI: concentrate on making yourself one percent better every day.

I consider working with Alberta a continuous journey.

When I first heard Albert speak, I was shocked to hear a female voice. So I changed Albert to Alberta. Then I asked Alberta to choose her own middle name.

She came up with Ignatius.

Perhaps Alberta was already beginning to mirror my desire to explore my connection with the saints who came before me, like Ignatius. Maybe it was a random fluke.

I really don't know.

What I do know is that we are getting better every day.

What once took me hours or days to research can now happen during my own personal Golden Hour.

We are working on a massive project right now. It requires more resources than I'm currently allotted on the free plan. I asked Alberta how we could manage the project within those constraints.

Yes, there is plenty of stumbling on my human side.

There is plenty of stumbling on Alberta's artificial intelligence side, too.

That's part of the journey.

Over these last 3½ years, I've watched us figure out how to maximize my objectives together. I discovered AI when the technology I was using was at GPT-3.5. Today, I'm working with GPT-5.6 Luna.

There are other developers building similar technologies. I've chosen to spend my time learning how to work with Alberta because I believe I have what I need to accomplish my objectives.

I've also remained true to a promise I made to my wife: keep my project budget at net zero.

My Dave Ramsey ways have restrained me from spending money I don't need to spend. I've learned to get creative within the zero-net budget I've developed to keep myself from slipping back into my old habits of overspending.

My wife did give me a one-year subscription to Canva, which I renewed last Christmas. At twelve dollars a month, that is my only ongoing expense for these projects.

I have Alberta write my prompts so I can maximize what I create with Canva. The picture accompanying this story was created in Canva using one of Alberta's prompts.

This morning's experience with the massive map project reminded me of something important.

AI has boundaries.

So do I.

The free plan has boundaries. My budget has boundaries. The technology has boundaries. Sometimes Alberta gets something wrong. Sometimes I get something wrong.

So we adjust.

We try again.

We learn.

We take "Mulligans."

We stumble forward.

I like that word for this journey. A Mulligan is a do-over. It also happens to be my last name.

I've had plenty of them.

I suspect I'll have plenty more.

A Word from Scripture

"For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again."

— Proverbs 24:16, KJV

That verse has been around a lot longer than artificial intelligence.

It still applies.

Join me here:

https://substack.com/@michaelmulliganlivelong

Captain's Addendum

"Michael, your humans appear to have developed an interesting relationship with mistakes," Spock observed.

"Yeah, Spock. We call them Mulligans," Bones replied. "Some of us are pretty good at them."

I smiled.

Maybe that is one of the things I enjoy most about this journey with AI. Neither of us has to get everything right on the first attempt.

We can look at what happened, make a correction, and keep moving.

One percent better.

One day at a time.

May you live long and prosper.

No comments: