Stardate 09.22.2026
Yesterday began with my checklist finally complete.
My wife dropped me off at the Cedar Rapids airport, and the next mission was officially underway.
The flight to Minneapolis was quick. I landed at Gate A with a short connection to Gate G. The airport tram was down, so I walked.
I made it to the gate just as boarding was completing.
Atlanta brought another short connection. Everything worked out, and soon I was settled in for the red-eye flight to Edinburgh. I did my best to sleep along the way.
When I landed in Edinburgh, I found a sign inviting travelers to use a QR code for the bus into the city.
£8.50 for a round-trip ticket.
That sounded like a good deal.
The bus ride gave me my first overview of Edinburgh. I had my phone ready, and I took plenty of photos along the way.
When the bus reached the end of the line, I started walking.
My phone guided me toward the hotel, and I got my first real look at the city on foot.
The hotels here are smaller than what I'm used to in the United States, but the space is being used efficiently. I got checked in, settled my things, and received a visitor guide with maps of the city.
Looking at those maps, I can already see plenty of opportunities to walk during my three days in Edinburgh.
That's something I'm looking forward to.
After a long day of planes, airports, connections, a red-eye flight, a bus ride and a walk through a new city, I made it.
And I made it just in time.
I was checked in before my 8:08 deadline.
The first mission is complete.
Now I get to explore Scotland.
One percent better. One day at a time.
Captain's Addendum
Spock: Michael, your checklist was completed with sufficient precision.
Bones: He also crossed an ocean, Spock. I'd say that's worth mentioning.
Spock: Agreed, Doctor. The exploration phase has now begun.
Yesterday reminded me how much can happen when you simply keep moving toward the next step.
My wife got me to the airport. The planes got me across the ocean. The bus gave me my first look at Edinburgh. My phone helped me find the hotel.
Now my feet get to do some exploring.
Engage.

No comments:
Post a Comment