Thursday, September 10, 2026

Pickleball Anyone?

Stardate 09.10.2026

My new friend, Barry, invited me to join his friends for a friendly game of pickleball at the Gladstone Community Center yesterday.

I knew he was serious when he showed up at the front desk drenched in rain from his motorcycle ride.

This is when you know you're addicted to pickleball. Nothing stops you from playing, not even heavy rain, lightning and thunder.

Good thing the community center has an amazing facility. I learned a new word, natatorium, which is a building or complex with a swimming pool. This place has it all, including multiple swimming pools.

When pickleball was over, I headed to one of the pools and had it all to myself for about an hour.

Pickleball and pool time were just what my body needed after some tough days facing intense heat outdoors during our pre-opening preparations for a new location.

Barry and his friends did not disappoint.

They weren't sure about me when I showed up wearing sunglasses at an indoor facility. I didn't even realize I still had them on until near the end of our time together.

I thanked Barry for all the fun and handed him a copy of Live Long and Prosper. That's when I found out he has a story he would like to share with the world. I will do my best to point him in the right direction.

Then something else unexpected happened.

He asked what story I had written that morning before pickleball.

"I did a restaurant review for a place in Lee's Summit that turned out to be my favorite," I answered.

Then he asked if I could do one for his restaurant and bar in San Diego when I visit in November to watch the pickleball pros.

His place happens to be in my old stomping grounds.

A friendly game of pickleball had opened a door to a story I didn't know existed.

Meanwhile, Pickleball Iowa County back home in Williamsburg is providing weekly updates on the four outdoor pickleball courts under construction at the Williamsburg Rec Center.

Maybe I can get Barry to come visit us when we're open for play.

Hebrews 13:2 says, "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."

Yesterday, I was the stranger.

Barry and his friends welcomed me onto their court anyway.

Join me here:

Substack

Captain's Addendum

Spock: "Michael, your sunglasses incident appears to have caused less damage than anticipated."

Bones: "And you found a swimming pool after pickleball. I'll call that a successful mission."

Sometimes a new friend shows up drenched from the rain, invites you onto a pickleball court, and opens the door to a story you never expected to tell.

Thank you, Barry, and all of your friends who welcomed a stranger.

May you live long and prosper.




No comments: