Friday, September 18, 2026

Lucy is Legal

Stardate 09.18.2026


Lucy has been parked in my driveway since her adoption a couple of months ago. I was fortunate to work with a concierge from my day job to locate her outside of Chicago. Once I drove her home, I discovered my insurance company considered her a commercial vehicle.

While it's true this type of van has commercial applications, the Ram ProMaster is also one of the popular choices for people like me who want to build a van for travel adventures. That's where the insurance challenge popped up.

Yesterday, I visited a local insurance agent who uncovered a creative solution. She researched multiple companies for me and found a way to insure Lucy without breaking the bank. My agent classified her as a recreational vehicle.

Lucy is now fully street legal.

I set aside time to get the paperwork handled for Lucy's title and registration while taking care of the insurance issues. Once the anti-theft device for the plates arrives from Amazon today, I will be able to install Lucy's new Iowa plates.

Thanks to our daughter, Lucy will have personalized plates in about six weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing those plates on the van.

The real work on the van conversion begins once my travel assignments are complete. I'm building modules for the plumbing, electrical system, galley, and shower using extruded aluminum.

For once in my life, I believe I can actually finish a major project on time.

There are 3 years, 9 months, and 17 days remaining until the Mission Clock runs out and full-time travel begins.

May you live long and prosper.

No comments: