Stardate 09.09.2026
If you happen to be living in Kansas City or passing through, Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant in Lee’s Summit is a must, especially if you’re a wine lover like me.
Two things stood out when I walked through the door.
Number one was the wine bar at the entrance.
I thought I died and went to Heaven.
It is wide open, with staff located at every nook and cranny. The wine is made by these folks, and I had the opportunity to sample the house cabernet alongside a more expensive option. My taste buds found the two surprisingly similar.
They may have been a little less demanding after I had spent most of the day outside with the heat index reaching 107º before I punched out and headed to my five-star dinner.
Then something happened that told me I wasn't simply walking into another restaurant.
The greeter remembered me from a visit the previous week. I had tapped out that night when I saw the large crowds and decided to try again another time.
The bar was completely packed, and the wine bar at the entrance was standing room only when I decided to leave and try again on a different day.
Nick took care of me and spent some time going over the menu. He also shared some of the restaurant's history and told me about something the locals love: the wine club.
The club offers countless ways to save money on future visits.
I declined.
I'm only here for a brief moment in time.
Then came dinner.
I ordered an 8-ounce filet with steak butter, crispy onion rings, grilled broccoli, and oven-roasted vegetables.
The chef got this one just right.
Five stars.
I asked Nick to please send the manager on duty to my table because I wanted to share my appreciation for this gem of a place.
There is one thing I would emphasize if you decide to visit: make a reservation.
Based on my experience, I would plan ahead. Two weeks out would give you a much better chance of getting the table you want.
There are plenty of restaurants in the world. Every once in a while, you walk into one where the food, the people, and the experience come together.
Last night was one of those nights.
Scripture gives us a simple invitation:
“Taste and see that the LORD is good.” — Psalm 34:8
Last night, I tasted a wonderful meal and experienced some wonderful hospitality.
I'm grateful for both.
Join me here:
https://substack.com/@michaelmulliganlivelong
Captain's Addendum
Bones: “Michael, I have to admit it. That filet sounds pretty good.”
Spock: “Indeed, Doctor. The Captain appears to have made a logical decision.”
Bones: “Logical? He ordered steak, onion rings and vegetables.”
Spock: “Precisely. A remarkably balanced mission.”
Sometimes the best moments during a journey arrive when we simply allow ourselves to enjoy where we are.
Five stars for the meal.
Five stars for the people.
And gratitude for another good day on the journey.




No comments:
Post a Comment