Friday, September 11, 2026

He Had Me at Hello

Stardate 09.11.2026

He had me at hello.



I walked in solo. Most times I get “that look.” I almost feel out of place requesting a table for one. When the place is busy, the first question is usually, “Would you like to sit at the bar?”

Maybe they're thinking, That's the place where losers who don't have dates go.

Not Ancho & Agave.

Russ came out and greeted me like I was his only customer. He told me someone would be there right away to seat me.

Moments later, Kristin walked up.

She also had me at hello.



Kristin greets you like your pet who hasn't seen you all day when you walk in. You immediately feel love in the air.

She offered me three choices: the bar, a high top or a low top.

Her next question set the tone.

“Have you been here before?”

“Nope. I'm not from around here.”

Kristin asked, “Why are you here?”

She got it out of me.

Kristin couldn't wait to share this information with Russ.

After my order was placed, Russ came back and asked if he could sit at my table. Russ had questions.

This managing partner takes his work seriously.

I didn't really answer his questions because I'm off the clock. I simply listened to Russ tell me about why he shops with another choice.

Kristin came back to the table and chimed in about why she loves shopping with us.

I let her testimonial answer Russ's questions.

Up until this point, Russ had no idea about my writing.

I knew at first bite this meal was going to turn into a blog review.



This is where things get interesting.

Russ came back after I requested him to join me again. I wanted to learn more about Ancho & Agave.

This place is a scratch kitchen. The only items not made here are the tortillas.

Russ always lets the customer choose the first time they dine in. On the second visit, he surprises them with all of his specialties.

You will have to visit on your own at least twice to find out what those surprises are.

Or you can come back to this blog after I return for at least one more meal before I leave town.

I ordered the beef burrito, chimichanga style.

Kristin told me they serve the white cheese on the bottom of the plate so the burrito remains crunchy, just like the homemade chips that are out of this world.

The salsa too.

Russ says he only serves the finest ingredients.

It shows in the meal.

Ancho & Agave found a way to add an American twist to Mexican food that will make your taste buds scream, “Olé.”

This place is where the magic happens.

If you want authentic Mexican food, talk with my cousin, Mark Mulligan. He literally writes songs about Mexican food places south of the border.

If you want something closer to home and you're in the Kansas City area, visit Ancho & Agave.

Five stars for Russ, Kristin and Ancho & Agave.

By the way, Russ suggested I get into video interviews.

That appears to be the direction I'm heading.

For those of you who are interested in my “vlogs,” make sure you visit me on Substack, a place where people like me congregate.

Join me here:

https://substack.com/@michaelmulliganlivelong

In a way, we are a collection of writers who gather at the cyber cantina.

Thank you, Russ and Kristin, for welcoming a stranger.

Live long and prosper.

Scripture

“Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it.”

— Hebrews 13:2

Captain's Addendum

Spock: Michael, your dinner appears to have included an unexpected interview.

Bones: And apparently you're going back for another one. I think we've found your excuse for a second burrito.

Michael: Maybe Russ knows something you two don't.

There are moments when you walk through a door alone and walk out knowing you'll be welcomed back.

I'm grateful for those moments.

One table. Two new friends. One meal that became a story.

And maybe, somewhere along the way, the next chapter is beginning to write itself.

No comments: