Saturday, October 5, 2024

Why Sleep is Vital

 Your brain is doing something critical during sleep mode.  If you're thinking your brain is resting you may be surprised to learn your brain is actively rewiring the trillions of neurons while also removing toxins in your brain that build up during your waking hours.  Should you short change your sleep, you will deprive yourself of the opportunity to organize your thoughts and memories.  You will also short circuit your ability to consolidate all the information you accumulated the day before. 

I have a stickie note on my night stand that I read before going to bed.  The note reads:  I am getting better at sleeping.  While I'm certainly not a sleep expert, my brain is responding to the note favorably.  The proof of this is displayed every morning on my smart watch.  

One more change I'm embracing is the idea of learning new things and then sleeping on them before implementing the change during my waking hours.  The idea is to give your brain one night of sleep first to consolidate and process before executing your new knowledge.  In the past I would watch videos of top tennis players playing doubles before a big match like today's Men's 40+ league play.  I have been watching slow motion videos of the best players in the world hitting two-handed backhands.  My brain has been processing the information during the night for the last week.  I will walk onto the courts later today with a backhand that has been refined during my sleep.  The one thing I know for sure is my confidence is building.  My belief is the confidence is coming from improving the quality of my sleep gradually over time, one brain cell at a time.  Have a great day.

No comments: