Sunday, October 6, 2024

Actual Sleep Time Hits 95% – A New Record

If there is an achilles heal in my sleep time, it's related to the percentage of time I'm actually awake.  According to my smart watch, anything above 10% of wake time is in the red zone.  I'm doing my best to calm myself down at night and minimize distractions that keep me from falling back asleep should I wake up in the middle of the night.  It helped that I was active on the tennis courts yesterday participating in my first league match of the new season against a powerful opponent from the Quad Cities.  I showed up early for an extended warmup before watching my teammates.  Our number one singles player dominated in a 6-0,  6-1 win on court one allowing my doubles partner and I an opportunity to play our lag match at #4 doubles in the Men's 40+ division.  We won in a super tiebreaker in front of our teammates who wrapped up all their matches before we finished our last match.  I attribute my improved backhand to all the slow motion two-handed backhand videos I've been watching.

23% of my sleep time last night was in the the deep sleep cycle which is above average for my age.  This is the cycle that promotes physical recovery.  My sleep report tells me my physical recovery came in at 93%.  I'm discovering from the data that intense exercise sets up increased time spent in the deep sleep cycle, especially during the first sleep cycle of the night.  

It appears my brain is listening to all the instructions I'm giving it.  Yes, the brain does listen to everything you say during the day which influences the quality of your sleep at night.  Sleep better and you will live better.  I have a long way to go to further raise my sleep scores.  All I can say is it's worth the effort to increase your sleep quality.  Just be careful about the thoughts you give your brain and keep them positive for positive responses.  Have a great day.


No comments: