Wednesday, October 31, 2018

The Journey Home – Trick or Treat?


I'm back at my day job today.  Life is returning to normal after experiencing one of my greatest adventures ever with my wife in Las Vegas.  I'm still trying to figure out why I would remove my waterproof triathlon watch before entering the swimming pool and then leave it behind.  Maybe it was that second margarita at Lindo Michuacán, a Mexican food restaurant highly recommended by friends of our daughter.  I discovered my error the next morning and returned to retrieve my watch but the doors were locked and we needed to get to the airport early for a shot at a couple of standby seats.  Our gate was decked out with Halloween decor.  The agent spooked me when I handed him my two seat requests and he said, "sorry, we only have one seat left."

I kissed my wife good-bye and sent her home, reassuring her I would find my way home.  Like a bad trick-or-treater wanting more candy, I returned for a second visit and found a new gate agent.  "You can get a seat to St. Louis, they have room for you," she said. "I'll call over and tell them you're on your way."

I ran as fast as I could but the doors were already shut and there was a line at the desk.  I approached the man at the door and asked if I was too late.  He looked at his watch, re-opened the door and said, "Go get a ticket.  You have three minutes."

The agent at the counter was watching and hurried toward me to have a look at my driver's license before handing me a boarding pass.  Once I passed through the door, it was locked behind me.  I found the last seat on the plane and breathed a sigh of relief.  Three stops later I reunited with my wife who was waiting for me and we drove home, arriving just after midnight.  I'm going to replace my watch on the way to my day job this morning.  Next time, I think I'll leave it on when I go swimming.  The watch may have stayed in Vegas but we made it home.  Yes, this adventure turned out to be a treat.  Have a great day.

No comments: