Tuesday, October 30, 2018

I Nearly Flunked My Travel Test


Most people I know have rigid travel schedules.  Everything is planned out to the second.  I'm on the other side of the spectrum.  My vacations look more like scenes from Mission Impossible.  The stakes couldn't have been any higher on my latest "mission" to see Phil Collins in Las Vegas over the weekend with my wife.  I had two tickets to his "Not Dead Yet" performance and all I needed to do was get there.

The alarm went off at 3:00 am the morning of the concert.  Our nearest airport was already sold out on all flights so we drove 95 miles in order to get a couple of seats on standby.  All Hell broke loose when we arrived at our hub and discovered our first three choices of flights were already sold out.  My head was spinning trying to figure out alternatives.  The male readers can relate to the next part of the story.  It's not in our blood to ask for help but I was about to fail big time on my travel test and reached out to the expert in our family for assistance.  Her solution was to set up a couple of standby requests on another airline for a small fee.  We needed to change terminals and rush to  our gate on the other end of the airport.  Her plan worked and we were one step closer to Vegas when we arrived in Denver.  Our happiness turned to horror when then next three flights suddenly filled to capacity.  We got the last two seats on the last plane to Vegas before the concert.  We arrived in time to check in, get a quick bite to eat and head over to the MGM Gardens.  The lights dimmed the moment we found our seats.  Phil Collins limped out on stage to greet the crowd and proclaim, "I'm not dead yet."  I give him an A+ for his performance, especially for conquering his ailments from a bad foot and a bad back.  As for me and my latest travel test, I'm not dead yet either.  Rigid travel schedules will never be in the cards.  All missions are possible if you resolve to never give up.  Have a great day.


No comments: