Friday, March 20, 2020

It's Almost Time for the Fog to Lift

Something strange happened to me on my way home from my day job yesterday.  We were under a tornado watch at the end of my day job shift.  The weather conditions were just right to fog up all my windows.  Nothing seemed to clear the fog.  I rolled down my front windows to get a better look around but it didn't help much.  Heavy rains moved through the area just before the end of my shift causing the roads to glisten so brightly that when I pulled onto the on-ramp at I-80 I could barely see.  The windows fogged up like smoke from a wildfire.  The sun lined up perfectly in front of me on the gentle slope I was ascending.  This moment of blindness scared the hell out of me for about 45 seconds.  Once on the interstate, the fog suddenly faded away.  The sun drifted to my peripheral vision allowing me to see and appreciate every detail in the cloud formations all around me.  I was awestruck.  All I needed was for the fog to lift.

The world we find ourselves in today is like my experience driving home yesterday.  This layer of dense fog is like a blanket of fear smothering all of our senses.  We are grounded from our favorite activities until further notice.  Only God knows how long it will be before the fog lifts.  I believe there's a difference between the fog around us and the fog within us.  Our thought patterns determine just how far we can see.  If we choose to let the fog blind us, we're stuck in limbo.  Fear has a way of narrowing our perspective and we feel trapped.  The best way to clear the fog in our minds is to close our eyes and see all the blessings.  Self-isolation doesn't have to mean loneliness.  I picture the day when my next book is in your hands and you're reading my stories about my adventures.  These foggy days make perfect writing conditions.  I'll see you when the fog lifts.  It's almost time.  Have a great day.

No comments: