Wednesday, March 25, 2020

How I Made Peace with a Political Opponent

There's a reason why I don't share my political views on this blog.  It's like being in a crowded room and everyone is doused in lighter fluid.  As soon as the first person strikes a match, everyone gets burned.  Am I going to love one of my adult children any less because they choose to vote for "the other guy"?  Hell no.  The one I follow teaches us to love our enemies and this includes our political opponents.  That's why I went out of my way yesterday to deal with a former Facebook friend who struck a match on his page when he called out any and all friends who voted for "the other guy."  I decided it was time to practice social distance and unfriend him.  I could tell he was nervous about talking with me when he stopped in for supplies at my day job but I felt a need to speak my peace and the conversation went well.

When Jesus says "love your enemy," it doesn't mean you have to be friends on social media.  Social distancing may promote peace.  I told my buddy we can be friends in real life and the door is always open to Facebook should he choose to allow others like me who think differently to be included.  Speaking my peace felt good because I shared from my heart and told him we will always be friends no matter what are differences may be.  I walked out of his personal space before anyone lit a match.  Life is good.  Have a great day.

No comments: