Monday, May 1, 2017

Labor and Delivery???

I'm reminded today how similar birthing a book is to pregnancy.  When my wife was pregnant with our first son over a quarter century ago, the nine month process seemed rather routine – until the very end.  Our son wasn't paying any attention to the due date on the calendar.  There wasn't much I could do during those final thirty-four hours of labor and delivery except hold her hand when things got complicated.  The scariest part was staring at the monitor and watching our son's heart beat drop like a bad day on the New York Stock Exchange every time my wife had a contraction.  All we could do was pray.  That's where I am today on the expected release date of my third book.  Even though this isn't my first rodeo, there are complications and this book will not be delivered on time.  Intensive care is needed in the editing room.  I knew from the beginning that an on-time delivery date would require a near perfect writing regimen.  The truth is I'm not writing the chapters – I'm living them.  This is one heck of a roller coaster ride and it's not over.

Thank you for your patience during this labor and delivery process.  I'm going to take my foot off the accelerator pedal and slow down for a few days.  This birthing process may take a while.  The good news is that while my stress levels are higher than ever, my blood pressure remains stable at 121/72.  I'm using the same breathing techniques my wife learned in Lamaze.  Hee, hoo, hee, hoo, I'll be happy when this is through.  Stay tuned.  Have a great day.

No comments: