Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Kudos to the Billing Department at University of Iowa Hospital


The ambulance ride to the hospital after my auto accident in February was longer than expected due to the heavy snow blanketing the interstate.  The longer journey was making sure my hospital bills got paid.  When it appeared my auto insurance company and my health insurance company were gridlocked, I turned to the billing department at the hospital for help.  They agreed to help me sort out each bill, item by item, and make conference calls to my insurance company with me on the line.  It's all over now.  Although my portion of the bill was small, my two insurance companies paid out over $50,000 on my claim.  The hospital allowed me to go on an interest free payment plan for my portion of the co-pays.  I made my final payment yesterday.  Oh what a relief it is to have this behind me.

The hospital representative was happy to pass along my gratitude to the staff who saved my life.   "I'm glad you had a good experience with us," the representative said.  "We rarely hear compliments in our billing department."  I  told her that the only thing that hurts more than seven broken ribs is paying interest.  Now that the hospital is paid in full, I'm ready for the final mountain climb to financial freedom – a paid off mortgage.  My wife and I are in this together.  Our target is three years.  It's a worthwhile pursuit of freedom in financial independence.  Have a great day.

No comments: