Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Remembering Algernon


I feel a little bit like Algernon today, a lab mouse I read about in elementary school in Flowers for Algernon.  I'm headed off to be a lab rat for five hours this morning in a bone and joint study at the University of Iowa that will span two years.

Like Algernon, I view my life as one giant maze filled with numerous dead ends and wrong turns.  It's a trial and error process.  On this day, eight years ago, I started this blog without much knowledge or writing skill.  My early stories resemble journal entries from the mentally handicapped character, Charlie Gordon, who was chosen to be part of the same experiment Algernon was involved in.  Charlie's daily tidbits reveal his progress.  Sadly, the mouse digresses and dies.  Charlie realizes his newfound abilities are time sensitive and he pushes himself to contribute before reverting back to his old life.  I feel the pressure of the clock ticking every morning when I compose a few paragraphs before racing off to my day job.  The place is swarming with lab rats who are giving my cousin's caveman food experiment a try.  You will be able to read more about their journey when I release my next book, now in the editing stages.

I would like to thank my readers today for sticking with me.  Some of you have read every story.  Today is journal entry 2,925 and I'm still scouring the maze for tiny morsels of cheese to be shared here every morning at 8:08, Pacific time.  One of the best lessons I learned about writing is to keep it at or below the 9th grade level.  I'll stay away from Algernon's experimental drugs designed to enhance IQ levels and stick with my own simple ways.  Only time will tell which will give out first, my knees or my brain.  As long as my fingers keep working, I'll keep writing.  Have a great day.

No comments: