Monday, August 28, 2017

Caution: This Prayer May Change Your Life


A stranger walked into our church a lifetime ago and shared an important message about a love story.  He was referring to the Bible in a way that intrigued me to open it, something I hadn't done much in my early adulthood.  This love story he was referring to was about the relationship God wants to have with us.  These biblical characters are really us.  "Pretend you are looking in a mirror when you open your Bible and you will see God speaking directly to you," the stranger said.

I went home with my wife and told her I was going to give it a try.  I prayed to the Holy Spirit to show me who I am in God's eyes before dusting off the cobwebs and randomly opening up my Bible.  There he was, a naked caveman possessed by multiple demons who dared ask Jesus, "Son of the most high God, why do you torment me?"

Some love story, I thought.  This was not what I expected.  That's what happens when you pray for God's point of view.  Jesus says, "ask and you shall receive."  It was like opening Pandora's box.  I felt like those demons flew off the page I was immersed in and invaded my mind but that wasn't the reality.  The reality is the demons were already there long before I noticed them.  I found myself asking, "Son of the most high God, why do you torment me?"  This caveman haunted me while I slept.  I kept going back to the story, trying to figure out what it meant.  It inspired "The Caveman in the Mirror,"  my first novel.  And now my life is complete.  Jesus healed me just like he healed that caveman in the mirror 2,000 years ago.  The Holy Spirit made the story come alive for me.  Jesus cast out the demons and gave the man purpose.  He gave me direction.  And the love story ended happily when Jesus returned just as he promised.  Behold, Jesus makes all things new.  He has the power to change your life.  All you have to do is ask.  Caution, this prayer may change your life.  Have a great day.


No comments: