Monday, October 2, 2023

Do You Believe Your Prayers Make a Difference?

 A gentleman named Chris showed up with his family to see what we were up to in this tent we set up in a parking lot.  I observed him interacting with one of our new hires at my day job.  In my opinion, some of the best learning comes from doing.  The new hire was doing and I was watching.  The situation was challenging because Chris could barely speak except for quiet whispers.  Since I couldn't hear Chris's words, I paid attention to his body language to see if my help was needed.  My only contribution was at the end of the conversation when Chris was about to drive away.

"How did everything go?" I asked.

Chris shared his happiness about meeting us and his joy about his future which included a follow-up surgery on his vocal chords damaged from a prior intervention.  I asked Chris if he wouldn't mind if I prayed for him since I was about to head to my house of worship.  He lit up like a Christmas tree.  So did his wife and two kids.  I could tell Chris was moved even though he really couldn't express himself any louder than a whisper.  The next thing Chris said nearly moved me to tears.

"Your prayers would be greatly appreciated.  I'm a pastor and I need my voice back so I can preach to my congregation."

My prayer life today is dramatically different from my youth.  I once judged God's answers or non-answers as a measuring stick.  I believed a non-answer meant God was too busy or that my request was insignificant.  This can destroy one's self esteem when there is a sense prayers don't really work.

I don't know if Chris will get his voice back.  That didn’t stop me from praying for him.  I now believe God hears every prayer.  I now trust God will answer every prayer perfectly.  Sometimes a non-answer is the best answer.  God cares.  He wants a relationship.  That's what prayer is.  In my opinion, the best prayers are prayers of gratitude.  What's your opinion?  Have a great day.

No comments: