Thursday, October 19, 2023

A Salute to My Great-Great Grandmother on My Mother's Side

 Special thanks to my mother's youngest sister, Marcie, for delving into our ancestry records and putting together a couple of photo books honoring our storied past.  Without her efforts, today's story would not be possible.

Imagine you are 14 years old and you are being courted.  You say no because you know nothing about what it takes to run a household.  Your future husband pursues you and convinces you to marry.  One hundred years later you are still alive at the age of 114.  This is exactly what happened to the matriarch of our family on my mother's side, Priciliana Carillo Tovar, born on January 4, 1830.

The last time I heard a story about a 14yr-old being courted it had to do with Mary, the Mother of Jesus.  Mary said yes.  The world was transformed.  God bless Mary and God bless my great-great grandmother who also said yes to Miguel Tovar, Jr.  I wouldn't be here today without that yes.  My understanding is my great-great grandmother was a woman of great faith.  She passed this on to her children who passed it on to the next generations.  I'm in awe of these special people in my ancestry.

How about you?  Do you have a special relative in your life who inspires you?  Make sure you share the next time our paths cross.  Have a great day.




No comments: