Sunday, September 30, 2018

Dear Future Self


Have you ever considered writing a letter to your future self?  This simple act can define your road map to your destiny.  I'm taking a moment during my blog writing to do this today hoping to hold myself accountable to what's ahead, realizing there are things I can control and things I cannot.  This letter is meant to work on the things that can be managed with discipline and proper planning.  If this exercise may be of benefit to you, give it a try.

Dear Future Self,

I'm writing you today to let you know I care about our future enough to make a plan that involves a life free of debt.  You and I both know how many times we failed to achieve our goals in the past.  I'm writing you today to share the details of the plan to eliminate all debt.

The car accident we survived on 2/5/18 is still fresh on my mind today, especially since the medical bills are nearly paid off as of this writing.  There are two payments to go and this debt will be in the rear view mirror before this year (2018) comes to a conclusion

My hope for you, future self, is that when you open this letter on 12/31/21, you will be forever free of all debts, including our mortgage.  I'm confident our household maintained the discipline necessary to achieve this.  By the way, I hope you appreciate the healthiest body I could give you with my food choices of mostly fruits, veggies, nuts, beans, seeds, water and wine.  I factored in the cost of these food choices in our family budget and did my best to stay away from the cheap processed foods that appear to be hurting so many others.

I trust that when you read this letter you will be smiling.  Give your wife a big hug and go out and celebrate.  Raise a toast to your credit card company because they did something for you that few ever benefit from.  They paid you money every year without you giving them one dime of interest and you used that money to pay off our debts sooner rather than later.  Way to go.  Live long and prosper.

Michael

No comments: