Monday, July 10, 2017

Who Do You Trust for Spiritual Wisdom?

I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!  So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.  You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. ~ Revelations 3:15-17

 
One of the reasons I like Sundays so much has to do with worship time.  I'm often asked at my day job, "did you get a good message today?"  They know where I've been before I arrive for my shift.  That's what the first followers of Jesus did – they got the message and then they spread it.  I'm always careful how I respond because I know very well how the Evil One works.  He's all about dissension, confusion and fighting.  There are three specific types of people – hot, cold and lukewarm.  One group is the most dangerous to deal with – the lukewarm believer.  He or she believes there is a God but doesn't see much value in following on a regular basis.  Jesus says, "I would rather that you are hot or cold."  The hot believer is all in.  The cold person either does not know God, has a confused perspective about who God is, or had a bad experience from others who didn't do a good job sharing the message.  It's as if they've been living in a dark cave all their lives and they need someone to turn on the light.  The lukewarm don't really care if the light is on or off.  The world is full of these people and the Evil One does a really good job of keeping the temperature setting in the proper range so these people never get too hot to become full-time believers.

There is really only one person I trust 100% for spiritual wisdom – the source.  This Holy Spirit knows my questions before I think about asking them.  He knows what I need before I do.  He knows the trouble I will find before I wake up.  And he has all the solutions.  Jesus gave us this gift before departing over 2,000 years ago.  The Spirit shines brightly in the "hot" believers who find their connection and their purpose.  He is ready to turn up the heat for anyone who wants to have God in their lives.  He will help the lukewarm as well but they are a tough crowd and they appear content living in mild spiritual temperatures.  If you really want spiritual wisdom, go to the source.  Ask Jesus for the gift of the Holy Spirit.  Warning!  Your life will get red hot and you will never be the same.  And if someone asks you, "did you get a good message today?"  you will know exactly how to answer as long as the Spirit is guiding you.  Have a great day.

No comments: