Thursday, July 13, 2017

If My Bones Could Talk


Researchers will be studying my bones for the next two years.  I volunteered for a bone and joint study that involves activity monitoring, X-rays, CT scans and other health monitoring.  The gentleman handling the screening interview told me I'm a good candidate and asked me to come in for a second round of questions.  I'm volunteering because I think my bones have a great story to tell even though they may not be able to talk.

My favorite Bible story is from the prophet Ezekiel.  In Ezekiel 37:1-14, Ezekiel is led to a valley with a bunch of dried up bones.  The Spirit of the Lord asks, "Son of man, can these bones live?"

God asks Ezekiel to prophesy to the bones, telling the bones breath will enter them and they will come to life.

I'm certainly no prophet, but I do know something about my bones – they're "muy viejo," meaning very old.  They're on concrete 40 hours a week at my day job and they don't get any rest when I'm with my tennis buddies for another 3-5 hours per week on the tennis courts.  The dairy gurus preached about how my bones would become brittle and dried up if I didn't load up on milk but I walked away and tried an experiment based on eating more like the people of Ezekiel's time.  If my bones could talk, they would have something to say to the milk advocates.  Numbers don't lie and my bones are about as dense as they come, even sans the milk.  Stay tuned for the rest of the story.  I'll be sharing what the researchers learn from their research project.  Have a great day.

No comments: