Friday, July 14, 2017

Adventure Ahead


I remember those family road trips on summer vacations when the kids favorite question was, "are we there yet?"  Times have changed.  These days we can respond, "check your navigation on your phone."

It's been almost a year since my tennis team lost a close match in the quarter finals in Oklahoma.  It was a tough loss.  We rallied after the defeat and made a decision to return to Oklahoma and give it another shot.  The state championship match in Waterloo last month was a nail biter and we came up short.  It appeared the roller coaster ride was over.  Before we unbuckled our seat belts, our captain got another call from the tournament director offering us a wild card entry for a return visit to Oklahoma in August.

I don't need binoculars to see how far away the adventure is.  It's at every mile marker.  I simply refuse to leave the ride, even when it's not moving.  The real adventure is in the preparation – the weekly practices, the equipment upgrades, the food experiment.  I'm doing everything I can to maximize the dream of going to nationals in Arizona in October.  My sidekick, Wilson, got a facelift earlier this week and he's sporting bright green strings from Solinco that may add a new spin to our fairy tale story.  If I were a pirate, this would be my buried treasure...
No, we're not there yet, but the adventure has already begun.  If you have trouble spotting me, look for Wilson.  He's hard to miss with all that color.  Hope to see you soon at a tennis court near you.  Have a great day.

No comments: