Saturday, October 15, 2011

When Will My Flower Bloom?

 "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."~ William Shakespeare

There you lie, buried in the garden.  All around you, colorful plants are sprouting like weeds.  Onlookers stop to smell the sweet fragrance of their flowers while you remain hidden and unnoticed.  You question your own existence and maybe even feel a little jealousy creeping inside.  Stop worrying... your day will come when you germinate.

Your seed is like no other and the timing of your bloom is dependent on many factors, some within your control and some not.  Concentrate on the things you have control over, like getting an education, nutrition, and exercise.

You have no control over the type of seed you are.  Either you are male or female.  Stop trying to make yourself into a rose if your seed is a daffodil.  Focus on being the best daffodil you can be.  Your season will come.  The garden is beautiful because of the variety and without you, something would be missing.

Be patient.  Appreciate all the plants surrounding you.  Some sprouting ahead of you will provide you with shade.  The fragrance of their flowers will fill the air with a sweet aroma.  When you emerge, the other plants will cheer your arrival in the garden and visitors will say, "wow, look at this special plant.  I've never seen anything like this in the garden.  I think I'll pick it and bring it home with me for my family to admire."

Today's message is in honor of my mother, born on this day.  The day her flower bloomed, angels could be heard singing, "Gloria."  Happy birthday, Mom.  Thanks for nurturing your little seedlings, even when others thought we were only weeds.  You taught us, "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

2 comments:

Marcie said...

Nice tribute to your mom and your family! <3

Michael Mulligan said...

Thank you, Aunt Marcie. I read this to Mom on her birthday and she was touched. Thanks for encouraging me to keep writing.

I shared your book with a couple of friends and the reviews have been favorable. If you decide to share it with the world, let me know and I'll set up a link on my blog.