Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Uncorked

 A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. ~ Proverbs 17:22

V-neck sweaters were in style when I was about ten years old.  My grammy told me about little Johnny's shopping experience with his mother.  Everywhere Johnny went, he refused to try on a V-neck.

"What's the problem with a V-neck?"  his tired mother asked.

"Teacher was wearing a V-neck sweater when she dropped her pencil in class," Johnny replied..."and when she bent over to pick it up, one of her lungs fell out."

Every time my grammy visited, she had a mouthful of jokes.  When I became an adult, I tried my best to get serious and my wife and I agreed it was best to bottle up my funny bone and store it away in a wine cellar.  After letting this bottle age for several decades, we decided it was time to pop the cork.

Sometimes you have to laugh at life.  It throws sucker punches.  When life knocks you down, you need to get back on your feet and fight back. Dig deep.  Take a trip to your wine cellar and find the vintage you that you've been hiding from the world.  Uncork that bottle and pour yourself a little bubbly. Don't forget to share it with others.  I promise you, from now on, I will no longer bottle up my effervescent thoughts.  Like it or not, my funny bone has been uncorked.  Cheers!

No comments: