Thursday, October 20, 2011

Change Your Deodorant

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. ~ Albert Einstein

Have you ever been in a situation where your persuasion skills seem inadequate?  The response you get from your customer, friend, or loved one is so negative you feel like maybe you need to change your deodorant.  Don't laugh...the solution does involve a change in your approach, especially if you need to deal with this person on multiple occasions.   It's as simple as changing your deodorant.

If you bombed on the first attempt, try something new to avoid rejection.  Take a look at this...

Attempt #1.  "Can you please take out the trash?"

Response..."I'm busy, I'll get to it."

Attempt #2.  "I'm really excited to watch the Chargers play today, however, we can't get to the game until your chores are complete.  Do you want to start with the trash?"

Response... "I'm on it.  Can you make the popcorn while I take out the trash?"

The easiest way to get another person to say yes to you is to prepare yourself properly.  Think about how the yes will benefit the other person and ask your questions from their point-of-view.  If there's a win for the other person, they're more likely to say yes to your appeal.

I'm using this little morsel when I speak with my bank today (for the gazillionth time)...

"Mr. banker, I understand you feel the last offer you rejected was below your expectations.  I agree with you about the worth of my home.  I do believe it's much more valuable than what buyers are offering.  Unfortunately, our opinions don't match up with the market conditions which are free-falling.  By saying no to the offer you have in front of you today, you may end up saying yes to a much lower offer sometime in the future.  How do you feel your investor will react if that happens?"

Remember, even the toughest people said yes to somebody.  If they are married, they accepted a marriage proposal.  If they own an automobile, they said yes to a big ticket purchase.  Change your deodorant by asking your questions differently.  Don't ever give up.

2 comments:

JP said...

Prayers are on their way that today's 'deodorant' may be God's special fragrance.

Michael Mulligan said...

Thanks, JP. You have a way with words.