Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Live Every Minute


Imagine you're a sheep dwelling in a flock of 100.  Something happens and you get separated from the other 99.  My gut tells me you feel emotions you probably don't like.  There's separation anxiety.  Perhaps some fear creeps in.  Nothing magnifies the senses like a dark cloud of doubt or uncertainty.  How refreshing it must be to hear the voice of the shepherd who left the other 99 to find you in the wilderness.  His willingness to find you no matter how far you strayed shows how much he loves you and cares about you.

The truth is you don't have to wait to hear your shepherd's voice when you feel alone.  He's always with you, even in your darkest moments.  I had one of these moments nearly six months ago when my life on earth almost came to a conclusion.  I didn't wait for my shepherd to call me when I was in the trauma center.  I called him, perhaps a thousand or more times through the night when I was flat on back writhing in pain from seven broken ribs and an injured spleen.  I wasn't sure if I would return to my old life.  In a way, I never really did.  Something better happened to me.  My life got better.  Maybe it was this gratitude I was feeling that I was alive, even though the pain was overwhelming.  Never again will I take my life for granted.  I went through some kind of spiritual experience like Denis Waitley describes in his quote above.  "Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed.  Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every moment with love, grace and gratitude."  Be happy.  Have a great day.

No comments: